Home
S.S.B.R.
Membership
News / Events
Publications
Bibliography
F.A.Q's
Barge Matches
Barge Walks
Glossary
Active Barges
Barge Ports
Historical Records
Contact / Email
Links
   S.S.B.R.
   The Society for Sailing Barge Research

ACTIVE BARGES SAILING  TODAY

This list  includes active rigged vessels only. (See Non Active Barge list below for vessels  unrigged vessels, craft undergoing restoration or refits, vessels used for other purposes and laid up vessels.) Excluded are abandoned hulks and remains, these are listed in "Last Berth of the Sailorman" published by the Society.

ADIEU

of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - plain light blue)

Off.No.161035, 79 ton steel built at Mistley 1929 for M.F.Horlock & Co.Ltd.  Latterly working in the ballast trade, she was converted 1990 for use as a restaurant / club. Now a private yacht owned by Lolo Brooks based in St.Katharines Yacht Haven

ALICE

Of Rochester

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob' in  - blue G on yellow ground)

 57 ton steel built at Wivenhoe 1954 by J.W. Cook for Hubbocks as a swim headed lighter.  Owned by Wrightson & Sons Ltd. Converted in 1997 by Owen Emerson and registered under S.S.R.No.68024. Sold 2002 to Sean Jacobs . Sold 2005 to  Alan Gick(Alice 4 Charters). Based Portsmouth 2007.

ARDWINA

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob' has - Red 'A' & Navigational dividers on 3 blue horizontal bands on white ground). Has "Rolfe Judd"in topsail.

Official No. 129016, 66 ton built of wood at Ipswich in 1909 by W.H. Orvis.   85. x 21.1 x 6.4, for E.J. & W.Goldsmith of Grays, Other owners: sold 1938 to Metcalf  Ltd. London. 1941 Ocean Salvage, Gravesend. 1942 T.J.Metcalf , Gravesend. 1950  Daniels Bros & L. Vandersyde of Whitstable.  1950 Daniels Bros & M. Blyth. 1959 as a yacht Brian Herve. 1961 G.Newman  of Maldon. 1966 J.Hunt & R. Hogben. 1971 J. Hunt. early 70's Porter.  c'1980 Rolfe Judd Practice (Ardwina Ltd.)   Based St.Katharines. Rebuilt 1982. Last barge built at Ipswich.

ATRATO

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - 2 lemon diamonds on black ground)

Official No. 110037, 63 ton built of steel by Forrestt of Wivenhoe in 1898 84.4 x 18.6 x 6, rebuilt 1945 by Pollocks.  Owned by Hughes and L.R.B.C.  Converted to motorbarge and sold out of trade, Owned since 1985 by Rupert Ashmore based Battersea.

BERIC

Of Harwich

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - dark blue & white halves with white P in green disc on white half)

Official No. 105421, 63 tons built of wood at Harwich in 1896 by Cann. Owners, Cranfield Brothers Ltd ended working life as motorbarge between Tilbury Grain Terminal and Rochford Mills in 1977, Bought 1978 by Stan Cresswell and Roy Woods and rerigged  at Ipswich.  Used by Steven Young for receptions in Millwall Dock sold 1999 and moved to Newcastle. Returned to Maldon 2003 owned by Ray & Ben Payne. Based Maldon.

BETULA

Of Ipswich

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  -plain red  )

SSR No 87565 ex Maartelaasgracht built of steel by Gideon of  Groningen, Holland in 1924 as motor sailing bulk cement carrier.  Counter stern replaced 1997 by owner skipper Eddie Smith, now 77’5”x17’8”  based Pin Mill

CABBY

Of Rochester

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - plain white C on plain red ground. ) Dark grey lower hull with black wale.

Official No. 160687, 76 ton.  The last full size barge built of wood at Rochester in 1928 by Gill for London & Rochester Barge Company.  Aux. Kelvin 66 fitted, worked as motorbarge with grain, animal feeds and other bulk cargoes, before rerigging 1970 as Company charter barge to replace Sirdar. Owners became part of Hays plc,  and sold 2002 to Andrea Grieg, Marine Events Management Ltd, sold 2006 to Gary Zimmerman. 2007 owned Charles McLaren. Charter barge thro Topsail Charters Ltd, based Maldon.

CENTAUR

Of Harwich

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - Gold wheel on red & black ground)

Official No. 99460, 61 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1895 by Cann, 85.6 x 19.5 x 6.2. Owners, Charles Stone, c.1900 Dolly Rogers, 1911 Ted Hibbs, 1915 John Sawyer, then Francis & Gilders and L.R.T.C. In 1955 she was derigged by Brown & Co. for use as a timber lighter.  Bought in 1966 by Richard Duke to rerig as a charterbarge she was sold  in 1974 to the Thames Barge S.C. for members sailing.  Based at Maldon, and rebuilt 1984-95, Owner now Thames Sailing Barge Trust.

CYGNET

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - plain red)

Official No. 84028, 16 ton.  Very small working barge built with a single hold at Frindsbury of wood in 1881 by Curel  and owned by Walter Wrinch of Ewarton.  Later owners Payne,  and Mica Brown who refitted her as a private yacht based at Snape Maltings. Reverted to tiller steering and had mizzen stepped on rudder post from 2005 under Mica Brown and Des Kaliszewski.
DAWN

of Maldon

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'- Plain dark blue)

Official No. 105902. 54 Tons. Built of wood at Maldon by Cook. Owned DAWN Sailing Barge Trust.. Moved from Hoo to Maldon 1999. To Heybridge 2002 for restoration (aided by lottery grant). Hull re-launched 2007 - rerigging completed 2008.

DECIMA

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob' - 2 dark blue horizontal bands, with black 'G' in gold on central horiz.band.)

Official No. 110055, 67 ton. Built by Fay of steel at Southampton in 1899, 85 x 18 for E.J. & W. Goldsmith Ltd.  Owned by Rayfield then Greenhithe Lighterage Co. Ltd  as  a motorbarge.  Rerigged as charterbarge by D.Wildish , sold1999 to Jeremy Taunton, sold 2003 to Tim Goldsack.  Based Standard Quay, Faversham. In 2006 tops'l ex May with Tate & Lyle emblem still visible.

EDME

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - White 'H' on red ground. White 'EDME' in topsail)

Official No. 105425, 50 ton.  Built of wood at Harwich in 1898 by Cann and owned by F.W.Horlock.  Derigged for use as a lighter 1949 by Brown & Co.  Lengthy restoration at Maldon before being bought by the Harman-Harrison Consortium, rerigged as bowsprit barge 1992 based at St.Osyth.  Still has no engine.

ENA

Of Ipswich

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - White cross on red ground. White cross in topsail)

Official No.122974, 73 ton.  Built of wood at Harwich in 1906 by W.B.McLearon, 88.2 x 20.6 x 6.9, auxiliary Ruston 80 engine installed she was  reregistered as a motorbarge in 1949.  Rerigged by her only owners then  R & W Paul Ltd in 1973 for their Social Club.; recognizable by her mulie rig and the white X in her topsail. Sold 2000 to Luke Deards of Hoo. Major refit 2001-

ETHEL ADA

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - red & blue horizontal bands with 2 white vertical bars.)

Official No. 118352, 49 ton.  Built of wood at Paglesham in 1903 by Shuttlewood 82 x 19.1 x 5.4.  Owned by G. & A. Underwood, Coal Merchants, Southend, Samuel West Ltd in ballast work and by the Successors to T.F.Wood - I.C.I. Ltd in the explosives trade.  Sold 1958 to Duke & Allan; 1970  to Geoff Mellor.  Refitted Pin Mill, 1999 for new owner Oliver Price. Based St Katherines.

FERTILE

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - brown eagle with yellow barge on dark blue  ground.)

SSR No 65378. 65 Tons Built 1936 as a steel swim headed lighter. Converted to a swim headed stumpy rigged spritsailed barge by owner Steve Brotherhood 1996. Based Colchester Hythe/Brightlingsea. 

GLADYS

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob' -green,orange & gold triangular. 'Kingsmill' emblem in topsail )

Official No. 109882, 68 ton. Built at Harwich of wood in 1901 by Cann, 84 x 20.6.  Owned until 1973 by Cranfield Brothers Ltd. Rerigged 1974 for use as a company yacht by Mardorf Peach Ltd. Based at St.Katharines but over winters at Ipswich.   Owned by Allied Mills. new transom 2003.

GRETA

Of Colchester

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  -red 'N' on black & gold ground. Topsail has white 'shepherds crook' and mains'l has white 'SHEPHERD NEAME, BREWER, FAVERSHAM. )

Official No. 98324, 46 ton.  Built of wood at Brightlingsea in 1892 by Stone 80 x 18.7 x 5.6.  and owned by the L.R.B.C. Converted to motor barge in C'51.  Rerigged Allington by Tony Ryan. Based Faversham, owner Steve Norris Chartering,  Whitstable.

HENRY

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - Swallowtail with white central horizontal band on on dark blue ground. Green transom.)

Official No. 118381, 44 ton.  Built of wood at Goldsmiths yard Grays in 1904 by A.White. 76.3 x 18.1 x 5.1, and owned  by Cole and Lecquire Ltd.  Rebuilt by Wills & Packham 1944 and Bought out of trade in 1948 by Arthur Bennett.  Derigged as housebarge at Twinney, later  refitted at Sittiingbourne by Steve Downer and sold 1998 to Justin Ford  now based  Faversham. Major refit 2003.

HYDROGEN

Of London

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  -green, red & white )

Official No. 123640, 98 ton.  Built of wood at Rochester in 1906 by Gill.  Owners  Burt, Boulton & Heywood George Andrews of Sittingbourne and later G.F.Sully.  She circumnavigated Great Britain for Bells Whisky and became  charterbarge based Maldon owned by Blackwater Barge Co. Charter barge through topsail charters.

KITTY

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob' -white star on red ground. White star in topsail. Green hull. )

Official No. 105418, 65 ton.  Built of wood at Harwich in 1895 by Cann.  Owned by Horatio F.Horlock, sold in 1933 to Francis & Gilders and passed to L.R.T.C. then used as timber lighter by Brown & Co  before being sold to Maldon Yacht & Barge Charter Co. Ltd to be rerigged in 1964.   With a six pointed white star  in  her topsail  under John Fairbrother  became notable racer.  Moved to Port Solent and owned by Roger Marriott she is active there.

LADY DAPHNE

Of Rochester

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - blue & red. White 'Z' in topsail.)

Official No. 127276, 85 ton.  Built of  wood at Rochester in 1923 by Short Bros. 90.3x21.4x7.3,  Auxilliary Ruston 100 engine installed in 1948, gear removed 1958 and used as a motor barge by her owners R & W Paul Ltd.  Sold in 1973 to Taylor Woodrow Ltd and rerigged C'74 at Maldon Sold to Michael Mainelli 1996 of Z/Yen Ltd  based at St.Katharines

LADY JEAN

Of Rochester

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - white 'W' on red ground.)

Official No. 148366, 86 ton.  Built of wood at Rochester in 1923 by Short Bros.91.2 x 21.6 x 7.5.  Aux. Ruston 100 installed 1948  but removed 1958 by  R.& W.Paul Ltd.  Renamed Sir Alan Herbert by East Coast Sail Trust for youth sail  training. Bought by Iden  & Sheena  Wickings for  a barge yacht and reverted to her original name. Staysail Mulie with half wheelhouse based at Maldon . For sale 2007.

LADY OF THE LEA

Of Dover

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - plain red. Has white emblem, barge inside castle emblem, all nside double circle in topsail )

Built of wood at Rotherhithe in 1931 by Hyam & Oliver for the War Department for carriage of explosives from Waltham Abbey, 72'  by 13'  and was originally tiller steered and stumpy rigged.  Sold to W.Aslett 1946, Owned by Brian Pain as private yacht barge,  Based Standard Quay, Faversham, registered at Dover, Official No. 722956  23 ton

MARJORIE

Of Ipswich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - lemon & black quarters with lemon 'D' & '105' on black quarters (age in 2007))

Official No. 113753, 56 ton.  Built of wood at Ipswich in 1902 by Orvis, 84 x 19.3 x 6.2 for R. & W. Paul Ltd.  Owned 1961 by A.J.O'Shea as charterbarge later by Albert Groom.  Based in the West India Dock for the L.D.D.C.  Varnished transom and  owned by Simon Devonshire based at Hoo overwinters at St Katherines.

MAY

Of Ipswich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - blue & white horizontal stripes. White 'TATE & LYLE' in topsail. )

Official No. 97680, 57 ton.   Built of wood at Harwich in 1891 by Cann for Cranfield Bros Ltd of Ipswich.   Sold in 1964 to Silvertown Services Ltd (Tate & Lyle) for occasional trade under sail and company charter barge based at St.Katharines Y.H.  Light blue transom.

MIROSA

Of Maldon

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob' - lemon Tudor rose on blue ground.)

Official  No. 96488, 49 ton.  Built as the Ready at Maldon in 1892 by John Howard. owned by Charles Gutteridge of Vauxhall  later W.W.Keeble.     Name changed in 1947.   Owned by Francis & Gilders, used as timber lighter at Heybridge, sold to ŚValą Deval who organised her rerigging in 1965,  Later owners include Alan Walker ’67, C.Lawrence’70  and Caroline Spender ‘77  then Peter Dodds. She was sponsored by Blue Circle becoming  one of the most successful racing barges of recent year still has no motor.  Based at the Iron Wharf, Faversham.

MONTREAL

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - light blue 'M' on black ground)

 Official No.115879, 89ton, built Sittingbourne,1902 as swim head lighter, 84.2 x 23.2 x 6.3 for Edward Lloyd - Bowaters bought by Owen Emerson 1970 and rigged.  Sold to Iden Wickings  as a yacht in  St.Katharines, her Register Closed 20 September, 1993 when sold as  housebarge at Temple, bought by Vadim Jean, 1996  and berthed at St.Marys Church Mooring, Battersea.

NELLIE

Of Faversham

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  -plain emerald green )

Official No. 114452, 43 ton.  Built of wood at Faversham by Cremer in 1901.  Owned  by Daniels 1950, later by Lapthorn,  Motorbarge from 1952.   Rebuilt Twickenham 1985 and completed Cooks,  Maldon 1994, stumpy rigged, 1996.  Owner  Prof. Diane Montgomery. Stumpy rigged based Maldon.

ORINOCO

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - plain dark green)

Official No. 104862, 70 ton.  Built of wood at East Greenwich in 1895 by Hughes and owned by Mason, later Cranfield Bros.  Aux Ruston 80  fitted.  Sold to L.Tester and rerigged at Hollowshore '70's.  Stranded ashore she was refitted 1990 as a private yacht,  Based  at Faversham, owner  Geoffrey Ingle. Restored  2004. 

PHOENICIAN

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - blue, gold, red & white.)

Official No. 146700 81 ton. Built of wood at Sittingbourne 1922 by Wills & Packham.  Owners include E.A.Horlock, and R.Sully converted to a motor barge in 1949 she traded until 1973 when she was sold out of trade to Albert Groom for chartering &  community  purposes  based  at Ipswich.    Moved to West India Docks then to Pin Mill and Maldon for restoration under sail 1998, owner Grant Littler  based St.Katharines.

PUDGE

Of Rochester

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - has gold 'wheel' emblem on red & black ground.)

Official No. 127274 67 ton.  Built of wood at Frindsbury 1922 by London & Rochester  82.4 x 21 x 6.8 (overall 84 x 24) as a bowsprit barge.   Auxilliary 2 cylinder Kelvin petrol parafin engine installed 1931 replaced by 3 cylinder Bargus Co. (Kelvin) engine 1935.    Bought out of trade as a twin hatched motor barge by Thames Barge Sailing Club and rerigged 1968 for members sailing. Engine replaced by Bedford 8.2 litre diesel 1991. Owner now Thames Sailing Barge Trust. Based Maldon. Major refit continuing 2004/7.

RAYBEL

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob' in 2004 - white 'H' on dark blue ground.)

Official No. 145058, 80 ton. Built of wood at Sittingbourne 1920 by Wills & Packham for G.F.Sully.  Aux Kelvin 88 engine installed 1939.  Sold  out  of  trade, rerigged at Pin Mill. Owned Ian Houston. Charter barge with Topsail Events & Charters 2008. Based St.Katharines

REMINDER

Of Harwich

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - green, red & white.)

Official No. 161033 79 tons,  Built of steel at Mistley in 1929 by Horlock and owned by Fred Horlock. Rerigged as charter barge by Roger Beckett of Anglian Yacht Services for chartering out of Maldon  Owned by Reminder (1929) Ltd Managed by Topsail Charters. Off white hull, Based Maldon.

REPERTOR

Of Harwich

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - white fish (Pollock) emblem with black 'P' on red ground. )

Official No. 145404, 69 ton.  Built of steel at Mistley in 1924 by Horlock owned by M.R.Horlock.  Converted to motor tanker barge she was sold out of trade to G.Reeve.   Houseboat  Battersea, rerigged by C.McLaren in 1987.  Owned by David Pollack now based at Standard Quay,  Faversham. chartered through Topsail Charters of Maldon.

THISTLE

Of London

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob' in 2004 - green, red & white. )

Official No. 105727, 82 ton.  Built of steel at Port Glasgow in 1895 by Hamilton. and traded with H.Covington & L.R.T.C.with Kelvin auxilliary installed 1948.  Housebarge at Battersea, rerigged Greenwich 1988 by C.Maclaren 2001 Owned Thistle (1895) Ltd. Charter barge with Topsail Charters Ltd. Maldon. based Ipswich. Half wheelhouse.

VICTOR

Of London

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob' - white V and 1895 on dark green ground. )

Official No. 105762, 56 ton. Built of wood at Ipswich in 1895 by Shrubsall 82.2 x 20.3 x 6.   Owned by Owen Parry for cotton seed  from London to Colchester returning with oil in barrels for paint. War service as an ammunition store,became a motorbarge in 1947 for L.R.T.C. until 1964. Rerigged 1974 by Owen Emerson, Sold to Nick Briggs for charters in Solent 1995. Sold 2006 to Steve Goodwin & Tony Chancellor based Mistley, charter barge through Classic Yacht Charters Ltd., Norwich.

WILL

Of Maldon

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - white tower emblem on dark blue ground. )

Official No. 148677, 150 ton.  Built of steel at Yarmouth in 1925 by Fellows as the Will Everard for F.T.Everard & Co. Ltd.  Sold as motorbarge out of trade and rerigged.  Owners, V.S.Harvey, 1966; J.R.Hobbins, 1971; Overseas Containers  Ltd     (P & O) 1977  and sold 1998  to skipper Sue Harrison.   Sold to Mark Towers 2004 Mule rigged yacht barge, blue hull based St Katherines. 

WYVENHOE

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob' - red & white horizontal bands )

Official No. 110012, 83 ton.  Built of steel at Wivenhoe by Forrestt & in 1898.  Owned in trade by L.R.T.C. Rerigged as company yacht  barge by R.Walsh, Wyvenhoe (London) Ltd.  Chartering out of  St.Katharines by Charisma Consultants Ltd. sold to Martin Philips 2004. http://wyvenhoe.co.uk

XYLONITE

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob'  - White stars & tree emblem on dark blue ground. 'Avocet' emblem & Suffolk Life in topsail )

Official No. 145408, 68 ton.  Built of steel at Mistley 1926 by F.W.Horlock to be named BX. Latterly owned by Greenhithe Lighterage she was rerigged by Tim Eliff as a charter barge and based at The Prospect of Whitby, P.H., Wapping.  Sold to Cirdan Trust 1985 for sail training out of Maldon. Sold 2007.to Rebecca Polden.

NON ACTIVE BARGES

This list  includes unrigged vessels, craft undergoing restoration or refits, vessels used for other purposes and laid up vessels. Excluded are abandoned hulks and remains, these are listed in "Last Berth of the Sailorman" published by the Society.

CAMBRIA

Of London

Official No. 120676. 79 tons built of wood at Greenhithe by Wm. Eberhardt in 1906 Had wheelhouse & was mulie rigged. Last sailing barge trading under sail. Owned by Cambria Trust from 1996. Moved from Dolphin Yard Museum , Sittingbourne to Sheerness Docks in lighter 2006. Moved to Faversham for restoration 2007.

EDITH MAY

Of Harwich

STAYSAIL Class

Official No. 116180, 64 ton.  Built of wood at Harwich in 1906 by Cann.  Owned by G.F.Sully she traded until 1961 as motorbarge.  Rerigged by Vernon Harvey she had many successful races.  Moved to Liverpool Docks, she returned to the East Coast 1990 and is now based Halstow owned by Geoff Gransden. Undergoing restoration 2005.   Continuing 2007.

ETHEL MAUD

Of Maldon

STAYSAIL Class

Official No. 96483, 45 ton.  Built of wood at Maldon in 1889 by Howard.  Owners, John Parker of Bradwell.  Sold c.1910 to James Keeble; used as a motorbarge by Green Brothers '51 Lost topmast 1959 but carried fore and mains'l until 1963 when laid up.   Rerigged as a residential yacht by B.Metherill at Hoo. latterly owned by David Maude, Michael McInnerley,moved to Dolphin Yard, 1997, 2001 sold for restoration to Garry Diddams, 2004 at Shoregate on the Medway. Continuing 2007.

FELIX

Of Ipswich

STAYSAIL Class

Official No.97686, 68 ton.  Built of wood at Harwich in 1893 by Cann 82.3 x 19.8 x 6.8.  Owned by Robert Smith, sold 1930 to Cranfield Bros. Became a motorbarge in 1954 in ownership of Lapthorn & Co. of Hoo.  Sold out of trade in 1972 and rerigged by Patrick Law. Owned from1976 by Sarah Roberts, then Kevin Symonds at St.Katharines  and sold 1998 to Robert Deards.  At Hoo for refitting 2004.  Continuing 2007.

GEORGE SMEED

Of Rochester

Official No. 84430, 59 ton.  Built of wood at Murston in 1882 by Smeed Dean & Co.Ltd for their own use passing to A.P.C.M., Francis & Gilders and Browns for lighterage. Rebuilt 1922 at 64 ton, later housebarge at Heybridge. rebuilt Maldon and awaiting rerigging by owner Ken Greenhalgh.

GLENWAY

Of Rochester

Official No. 127260, 82 ton.  Built of wood at Rochester in 1913 by Little.  Owned by John Wilks of Deal, later Samuel West,.  Crossley engine installed in 1975.   Houseboat at Otterham, rerigged at Ipswich by Steve Barry but abandoned at Maldon, Recovered by G.Reeve and sold to Hugh Poore 1988 who undertook her rebuilding at Dolphin Yard, Sittingbourne. Sold to Topsail Charters of Maldon 2002 and is used as Maritime Heritige centre. Barge hull sold 2007to David Fennell for complete rebuild.

IRONSIDES

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

('Bob'  - Swallowtail with 'tower' emblem on blue ground)

Official No. 112710, 78 ton.  Built of dutch iron at West Thurrock in 1900 by Clarke  & Stanfield  85 x 20.3 x 6.4.  Owned by A.P.C.M. and sold to L.R.T.C. in 1928 she was converted as motorbarge in 1938 and traded to northern France.   Sold to Alan Reekie 1968  to rerig at Brentford she became a successful racing and charterbarge.  Now owned by Mark Tower, based at Maldon / St Katherines. undergoing refit at Standard Quay Faversham from 2003.

MELISSA

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

Official No. 110078,  67 ton   built of steel by  Fay at  Southampton 1899 for E.J. & W.Goldsmith acquired by  L.R.T.C.; Based 1999 Pin Mill  owned by Jonathan & Richard Webb. Under restoration 2004 . Continuing 2007.

NIAGARA

Of London

Official No: 108373 79 tons built by Forrestt at Wivenhoe in 1898. 86.7 X 20.6 X 6.7. MB 1924 LRTC. Restoration project at Battersea 1970. Sold to Deptford Community Centre and 2001 to Peter Sands, moved to Hoo for restoration. Continuing 2007.

PORTLIGHT

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

Official No. 145405, 68 ton.  Built of steel at Mistley in 1925 by Horlock.  Converted to motorbarge by Greenhithe  Lighterage but  rerigged  by Lawrie Tester as bowsprit barge  based  at Hollowshore near Faversham, sold  end  2001 to Landbreach Ltd of Maldon for major refit. Continuing 2007.

SEAGULL II

Of London

STAYSAIL Class

Official No. 161348. Built of wood, 43.2 x 13.1 x 4.8., at Rochester in 1901 by Gill for the War Department  Owned  by G. Winfield as a yacht before becoming an architectural feature on Free Trade Wharf Wapping 1988.  Sold 1999 for restoration at Gillingham by Neil Pemble. Continuing 2007.

SCONE

Of Rochester

Official No. 127269. Built of wood, at Rochester in 1919 by Gill for L.R.T.Co.  Unrigged 09/1957. 1977 bought by Steve Mallet and re rigged. 1990's Converted to a restaurant in West India Dock for David Ireland. Sunk in 2000, raised and moved to Barking Creek. 2004 owned by J.C. Royer. Sold 07/2004 & Laid up Benfleet Creek.

SCOTSMAN

Of London

Official No. 110106. Built of wood at Sittingbourne by Wills & Packham in 1899. Owned by Rita Bowran as a houseboat at Stargate Marina, Hoo. 2007 hulked Hoo Saltings.

THALATTA

Of Harwich

BOWSPRIT Class

('Bob' in 2004 - white 'ECST' on red ground )

Official No. 116179, 67 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1906 by W.B.McLearon 88.9x20.6x 7.1., bought by F.W.Horlock and rigged as boomie. Sold 1917 to Wynfield Shipping Co. of Grimsby who fitted an engine which was removed on sale to Capt.Body in 1923. Later owned by R & W Paul Ltd. aux. Ruston 80 installed 1948.  Owners East Coast Sail Trust for youth sail training out of  Maldon.

Major rebuild /refit at St Osyth 2005 continuing 2008.

TOLLESBURY

Of Ipswich

STAYSAIL Class

Official No. 110315. 70 ton. Built of wood at Sandwich in 1901 by H.Felton, 84.2 x 20.4 x 6.6.  Owners, Fisher, bought by R & W Paul Ltd 1912.  Motorbarge '50.  sold as a yacht by '65 and housebarge at Pin Mill '78.  Rebuilt Ipswich Dockend 1992 , moved to  London,  Owned by David Paling as a Bar Millwall Dock. For sale 2004. Sunk at her berth Sept 2005, raised laid up Town Quay, Barking Creek 2007.

VIGILANT

Of Harwich

STAYSAIL Class

Official No. 116176, 73 ton.  Built of wood at Ipswich in 1904 by Orvis & Fuller.  Owned by Alfred Horlock and converted to a yacht in 1932.  Sold back into trade and converted to motor barge by Whiting Bros.  Passed to L.R.T.C.  Owned by Dawes, Thomas and Martin. as private barge yacht until sold  to Ms. Lynn Johnson & Graham Head  late 1997 and now based at Woodbridge, Suffolk. moved to St Osyth 2004.

VIOLET

Of Maldon

Off No. 96482. 45 tons. Built of wood at Maldon by Howard in 1899. Owned by Robert Boakes based at Brambletree Wharf, by the New Medway Bridge. (Located in a steel lighter).

WESTMORELAND

Of London

Off. No. 112733, 43 ton.  Built Conyer 1900 by White, 79 x 17.1 x 5. for Eastwood Ltd, the brickmakers who donated her to the Thames Barge Sailing Club in 1963.   Wrecked at Hoo 1973 she was acquired by Colin Frake.  Rebuilding at Faversham.

WILFRED

Of London

Off. No. 149696. 98 tons. Built of steel at East Greenwich by Piper in 1926. Converted to a wine bar 1984. Sailing gear removed 1993. Now a static night club at Victoria Embankment, near Waterloo Bridge.

Updated October 2007.

This is information is taken from lists provided by member  Ron Carroll with additional information provided by member David Renouf.